The Foundation makes grants in accordance with grants policies applying from time to time primarily to assist amateur New Zealand sailors to achieve outstanding performances in world championships in the major international centreboard classes, at the Olympic Games, and in significant offshore keelboat events.
Until recently the Foundation made many of its grants to reward medal-winning performances by New Zealand sailors. These were referred to as ‘performance grants’.
However, following a review of its policies in 2012, the Foundation decided that grants to individuals would only be made as a contribution towards expenses to be incurred in attending approved events and the policy of making grants simply on the basis of a successful performance would be discontinued.
The Foundation has for many years also assisted particular New Zealand teams (for example the national teams for the ISAF Youth Worlds, and the Optimist Dinghy Worlds) on a regular basis and the negotiated arrangements for funding of that kind will continue.
In future, applicants for a grant must now satisfy the Foundation that:
- The application falls within the Foundation’s purposes
- The purpose for which funding is sought is one in respect of which the Foundation’s support is justified; and
- The applicant has demonstrated a need for funding.
The Foundation will also continue to consider funding applications in relation to participation in or running of keelboat events where these are perceived by the Foundation's trustees as potentially enhancing the skills of amateur New Zealand sailors and/or encouraging their participation in international keelboat racing.
If you think you may qualify for a grant, and wish to apply for one, please download the Foundation’s application form.
- Application forms should be completed as fully as possible.
- You can apply online or download the form, complete and return via email (preferably) or mail to the Secretary. Emailed applications do not need to be posted.
- Each application should include a detailed campaign budget that includes the amounts of any funding already secured and any other reasonably likely sources of funding. Copies of quotes for individual items of expenditure are NOT required.
- Notices of Race, quotes or invoices are NOT required.
- Your application must be submitted no later than one week before the meeting of the Foundation at which you wish it to be considered. Only under special circumstances and at the discretion of the Chair will applications considered outside of these meeting dates.
- A brief report and final results of the event/s (regardless of placings) should be forwarded to the Foundation on completion of the event.
The 2019 meeting dates are:
Monday 25 February 2019
Monday 29 April 2019
Monday 29 July 2019
Monday 30 September 2019
Monday 25 November 2019
NZL Sailing FoundationSuite 7554, PO Box 106910Auckland1143New Zealand
© Copyright 2020 NZL Sailing Foundation. Built by NZL Sailing Foundation. Powered by Airsquare.